“A wellness program for South Asian seniors 60 years plus”
It has been a challenging year for everyone and we want to begin the new year with inspiration, hope and positivity. We are pleased to be presenting a new wellness program expressly for South Asian seniors living in the GTA called – Artful Connections to get through the winter months with a little help from the arts.
We have assembled a tremendous group of artists from various artforms (dance, film, literary arts, music and the visual arts) who will be sharing their skills and talents through a series of intimate online workshops for South Asian seniors who are 60 years of age and beyond.
Join us from the comfort of your own home to learn something new or do a little more of what you love. Meet new people and have a little fun (hopefully a lot of fun) among fellow seniors.
We welcome all seniors 60 plus who will have access to join us online who reside in the GTA (including but not limited to Mississauga / Brampton / Halton Hills / Toronto / Etobicoke /Scarborough).
Workshops will be offered online during weekdays ( Monday and Friday). On average, each workshop will be approximately 1.5 hours in duration.
The program is set to launch on Monday, Jan 18, 2021 and will run for approximately 4 weeks.
Workshop are offered free of charge. Spaces will be offered on a first come basis.
Participants will be able to participate in ONE artistic activity of interest.
Workshops will be offered in English however, translations may also be offered in additional languages such as Hindi/Gujarati when possible.
To be put on our waiting list or for more information, please reach out with the details below to our Program Manager at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
To call or Whats App please use 416-726-9824.
Artists and Workshop Schedules
DANCE with Let’s Nacho
Bollywood Inspired Movement – Bollywood is all about great energy, fabulous music, upbeat dance moves and feel-good vibes. We invite you to join us for what will surely be a fun break in your day as we crank-up the tunes from your favourite Bollywood films and dance the afternoon away together. Who knows, you just might learn a new move or two! All levels of ability welcome. Let’s nacho! – Instagram handle: @letsnacchho
- Tuesdays – Jan 19 & 26 – 1 pm to 2-30 pm – Dance
- Thursdays – Jan 21 & 28 – 6-30 pm to 8 pm – Dance
- Tuesdays – Feb 2 & 9 – 1 pm to 2-30 pm – Dance
- Thursdays – Feb 4 & 11 – 6-30 pm to 8 pm – Dance
FILM/VIDEO BASICS with Sid Sawant
Cinema at Home
Learn the basics on how to capture and share stories with your loved ones around the world. Explored through virtual Zoom sessions, we will be covering: The basics of online calls, different functions of different devices, camera placement, lighting and audio.
Note: Participants will be using their own personal smartphone or alternate devices as discussed with the instructor.
- Wednesdays – Jan 20 & 27 – 1-30 pm to 3 pm – Film/Video
- Tuesdays – Feb 2 & 9 – 11-30 am to 1 pm – Film/Video
- Wednesdays – Feb 3 & 10 – 1-30 pm to 3-30 pm – Film/Video
- Thursdays – Feb 4 & 11 – 10 am to 11-30 am – Film/Video
MUSIC/VOCALS with Rajashree Karandikar
Bollywood Classics – An introduction to Indian Classical music through old Bollywood songs. Let us take a trip down memory lane… Experience nostalgia. Participants will sing songs based on popular Hindusthani Ragas and simply have fun!
- Tuesdays – Jan 19 & 26 – 10 am to 11-30 am – Music/Vocals
- Fridays – Jan 22 & 29 – 10 am to 11-30 am – Music/Vocals
- Tuesdays – Feb 2 & 9 – 10 am to 11-30 am – Music/Vocals
- Fridays – Feb 5 & 12 – 10 am to 11-30 am – Music/Vocals
WRITING with Sharada Eswar
Writing in the language of your choice. Craft a memoir, a short story, an anecdote, a poem or a recipe! Established writer Sharada Eswar will lead you through a series of exercises to get your creative writing flowing!
- Tuesdays – Jan 19 & 26 – 10 am to 11-30 am – Writing
- Wednesdays – Jan 20 & 27 – 10 am to 11-30 am – Writing
- Tuesday – Feb 2 & 9 – 10 am to 11-30 am – Writing
- Wednesday – Feb 3 & 10 – 10 am to 11-30 am – Writing
Four Lands: Over a one and half hour workshop led by artist Sharada Eswar, participants will explore and express their relationships to a place: what they like(Good Land), want to change(Bad Land), remember, have learned, hold in mind from different places and times (Memory Land), wish for and imagine (Dream Land) through drawings, and words.
1) Print out of the template provided. (If you do not have access to a printer, please feel free to sketch it out on a blank paper
2) Pencils, Pens & Erasers
3) Colour Pencils
4) Blank Sheet of papers
VISUAL ART with Anna Silgardo
“Through The Window”
What does one see when looking out of the window? The activity will help participants to decide what they want to see outside their window. It can be a memory, a thing or a person that can be incorporated into their landscape or something that is imaginary, a wish or a vision of the future. The objective is to draw on positive thoughts, enjoy the creative process and enjoy their creation that becomes a tactile piece of art. Materials Needed:
• Plain paper – minimum of 4/5 sheets
• Glue stick
• scotch tape
• colour pencils
• Regular pencil
• Black marker
- Thursdays – Jan 21 & 28 – 2 pm to 3-30 pm – Visual Art
- Fridays – Jan 22 & 29 – 11 am to 12-30 pm – Visual Art
- Thursdays – Feb 4 & 11 – 2 pm to 3-30 pm – Visual Art
- Fridays – Feb 5 & 12 – 11 am to 12-30 pm – Visual Art
How To Register:
- Please click here: REGISTRATION
- You will receive a confirmation once your registration form is reviewed by our Program Coordinator.
- If you do not receive any communication within two days please call or WhatsApp 416-726-9824.
- Everyone must be pre-registered to take part in the program and must be confirmed before the start date of the first workshop.
Things to Note:
- Spots will be offered on a fist come basis until full.
- Should your selected arts activity be full, please consider another arts activity.
- We have allotted 12 spots per workshop however; 10 participants are required for the workshop to move ahead. As such, a workshop may need to be cancelled or rescheduled.
- If you have been confirmed for a workshop and are unable to attend, we would ask that you be in touch by email to email@example.com at the earliest possible.